Tuesday, March 8, 2011

They Will Know Us By Our Love?


For those of you who know me, you’re aware that I don’t usually speak my mind about anything controversial. Just for today, that policy is going right out the window as I climb onto my soapbox…

I am a Christ-follower. I am happy to admit that do my best to honor God with my life. I may miss the mark quite often, but I do try. Having said that, I often feel like I am in the minority when it comes to my views as a Christ-follower, particularly when it comes to the topic of homosexuality.

I have what my mother refers to as a ministry to homosexuals. I never asked for it, but it’s there. When I was growing up, I was taught by Christians around me that gay people were just plain bad. I simply accepted this since I figured they must know what they’re talking about. I had seen things in the Bible that talked about homosexual behavior being wrong.

As I grew older, I started to come in contact with people who embraced a gay lifestyle. I didn’t see what was so bad about them… many seemed to be hurting, in my opinion. I remember a transvestite who frequented the restaurant where I waitressed. (S)he always asked to be put in my station. I recall thinking sarcastically, “Why me?” So at one point, I politely asked. Her response was that I was the only one there that treated her like a person.


There have been several more since then who have popped into my life (some even within the walls of the church ~ gasp!). I used to carpool to work with one young man who was afraid to admit his lifestyle to me because he knew I was a ‘church person.’ I told him that I accepted him for who he is, not what he’s doing. I let him know that when I am perfect, when I can walk on water, I'll judge him. Until then, I plan to love him and treat him like I would any other friend. To say that he was shocked would be an understatement. He told me that I was the first Christian he’d met who didn’t immediately tell him that he was going to hell. We are still friends to this day.

Here is what I don’t understand… Why does the Christian community (as a whole) condemn gay people and why are they the ones who are trying to decide who goes to heaven and hell? I thought that was God’s responsibility, and His alone. I have the Bible in several different versions and have studied them throughout my life. I have yet to find where it tells me to judge these people based on their sexuality.

If every sin is equal in the eyes of God, why do we, as Christians, attach degrees of sinfulness? Gluttony is a sin, so are all fat people (myself included) destined for the fires of hell? Lying is a sin that I’m sure we’ve all committed at one time or another. The Bible says that to look on someone lustfully is to have committed the sin of adultery in his/her heart… I’m guessing most of us have done that one as well. I just don’t understand why we’ve taken certain sins and put them in the unforgivable category. The only one I’ve found that belongs there is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.


I don’t understand the rationale of the Westboro Baptist Church. I can’t reconcile to myself that protesting at funerals is the way to make God smile. Jesus said to let him who is without sin cast the first stone. The Bible tells us to love God and love others. We are supposed to be known by our love. How are they showing love? To be completely honest (and that's what I'm trying to do in this blog), it's vastly more difficult for me to keep from judging those who I see as hypocrites than it is to keep from judging my gay and lesbian friends.

Like I said, I rarely talk about anything remotely controversial, and I likely won’t do it again (I’ll stick to my more acceptable ponderings & maybe a recipe here and there), but I just felt that I needed to go on this soapbox rant. I welcome your comments, but remember that I have friends on both sides of this issue. Please be respectful of each other on my page.

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate your ministry to gays. We have to love everyone, wherever they are. Including those that can't minister to gays. Sounds like you have an awesome calling of love.
    I don't see the homosexual lifestyle as any different than someone committing adultery, robbing banks, beating their child, cursing God. No worse, no better. I can even understand someone having desires for someone of the same sex. I don't condemn because I am not condemned. My problem is with the agenda of trying to legitimizing the acting out of the homosexual lifestyle. Scripture is clear and God will not be mocked. But I am NO better than anyone else. All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God INCLUDING me. God loves all of us the same. This is why Jesus died for me. To redeem me. We are free to ignore, minimize, refuse Him or accept His loving sacrifice. How can I blatantly mock His sacrifice by gloating in my sinful nature? I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't know if you will allow me the freedom of taking up all the space on your blog but you have opened a can of worms with the gay thing. And it is "A Gay Thing."
    Years ago, when Carol and I moved to Vegas, I met a gay woman. It was through a Synergy program and I stated out the exercize by stating, "After all, a queer us just a queer, right?" A few days into the program I started to realize a few things. The first was that I am not the one who has the power to categorize people. The second was that people in a category are really no different than I am. So I let my guard down a little and let this woman into my life. What I found was a warm, loving, spiritual, vibrant woman that loved people and gave herself to them unconditionally. (Emotionally, of course). I began to let her in more and more until I realized she was the one who was letting me in. As time went by we became almost inseparable. She and her life mate became fast friends with Carol and I, and I love them desperately. I've said all that to say this. I have read the Bible probably as much as the next guy my age and I have come to the realization that homosexuality is wrong. But it is not for me to condemn it. My friends in Vegas are practicing a lifestyle that I could not, nor will I ever accept as normal. But I love them as people.....wonderful, giving, loving people. It is them who will stand before the throne and give account of their lives.....not me. I've got my own troubles. God knew all this way back before Obama was president. lol
    I could go on and on about this subject, but you brought it up so I thought I'd slip in an idea of mine. I hope you don't mind. I love you niece. Keep up the good work with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Uncle Chub! I agree with you wholeheartedly...

    ReplyDelete